Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Peppermint Hot Chocolate


Ingredients:

2 and 1/2 cups vanilla soy milk
2 and 1/2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
2 candy canes
2 tablespoons of sugar
pinch of salt
whipped cream or Cool Whip

Makes two generous portions!

Tis the season! Tonight as John and I decorated our tree, we enjoyed a delicious glass of hot chocolate. Normally I would use milk, but as i am getting over a cold, I wanted to stay away from the dairy products. Feel free to use milk if you like, but the soy is delicious as well.

Start by heating the soy milk over medium low heat until just warm. Next add in the sugar, cocoa powder, salt and whisk well. Break one candy cane in half, and toss it into the warm liquid. Allow the hot chocolate to warm through a bit more, and serve once the candy cane is completely dissolved. If you see any lumps of chocolate, just whisk the mixture a bit more, and you should be lump free. Next, take a plastic bag and stick the second candy cane inside. Use a rolling pin, or even an aluminum can to crush the candy into bits. Finally, pour the hot chocolate into mugs, and top with whipped cream, and your crushed candy canes. Mmmm- Mmmm. You gotta love Christmas!

2 comments:

Heathercicle said...

I just made this and it came out perfect! I love little things to make on a whim. It fulfills my need to "cook" without all the mess!

Leslie said...

Yes, me too! This is such a delicious and easy little treat. I am glad you enjoyed!