Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Pad Thai

Oh blog, please don't think I abandoned you. I simply went on vacation. I intended to update you, I really did. It's just that I was in a beach house with 9 really fun people, and they all kept distracting me. I am back now, I promise!

To kick things off this week, here is a really delicious Pad Thai recipe that utilizes ingredients you can find in just about any grocery store. It's easy, keeps well for leftovers, and can feed a crowd. Get ready for something spicy adapted from "The All New Complete Cooking Lite Cookbook."

Ingredients:

1 cup chili sauce

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

3 tablespoons water

2 tablespoons fish sauce

1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger

2 teaspoons chopped serrano chile


1 box (14 ounces) wide rice noodles

2 tablespoons of canola oil

1 8 oz package of extra firm tofu cubes

2 cups of rotisserie chicken

3 eggs

5 cloves of coarsely chopped garlic

3 cups of bean sprouts

1 and 1/4 cups diagonally cut green onions

3/4 cup chopped cilantro

1/2 cup coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts

12 lime wedges

Serves 6

Combine chili sauce, brown sugar, water, fish sauce, ginger and serrano chile to form a thin sauce. Set aside.

Cook noodles according to the directions on the package. Drain well and set aside.

Next heat one tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high (Seriously, you'll need a really big pan before this is all said and done.) Cook tofu cubes in the oil for about 7 or 8 minutes stirring occasionally. You want them to turn a golden brown color, and develop a crispy texture. Remove from the pan.

Add the remaining tablespoon of oil into the pan and saute garlic for about 1 minute. Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk them (just like scrambled eggs). Add to the non-stick skillet and cook with the garlic until you have scrambles. Stir in chile sauce mixture, cooked noodles, tofu, chicken, bean sprouts, green onions, and half of the cilantro. Cook for 3 minutes or until all of the noodles are warmed through and the bean sprouts begin to wilt.

Serve garnished with peanuts, the remaining cilantro, and lime wedges.

I enjoyed this recipe because it gives you that sassy Thai food flavor, without sending you running in all directions for obscure ingredients. Give it a try one night this week, you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE your blog! I adore this recipe! Sounds really yummy:) I shall be trying it out this weekend. Only thing is, I won't use the sugar.... I'm going to have to get creative and figure a way to sweeten this an alternative way. Wish me luck!

Leslie said...

Splenda has a good brown sugar substitute. I do know that it has a little bit of sugar though. I suppose you could also try honey if you wanted to go more natural...